The Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative was designed by CMS to help clinicians achieve large-scale health transformation. The initiative was designed to support more than 140,000 clinician practices over the past four years in sharing, adapting and further developing their comprehensive quality improvement strategies. Practice transformation networks were formed throughout the United States. Each network has worked for the past four years to achieve the seven aims of TCPI. We are the MidSouth Practice Transformation Network.
- MidSouth PTN successfully enrolled 109% of our target of 4,050 clinicians.
- During TCPI, the MidSouth PTN supported over 112 practices across Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Arkansas.
- MidSouth PTN achieved 267% of their target for improving health outcomes for Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP beneficiaries and other patients.
- “71% percent of emergency department visits could have been treated safely in an urgent care clinic or primary care setting, or did not require urgent care, according to a 2013 study by Truven Health Analytics.” – Encounter Telehealth
- MidSouth PTN has already avoided almost 19,000 unnecessary hospitalizations,* meeting 81% of our target.
*avoidable ED visits, inpatient hospitalizations, and readmissions
- Gastro One, a MidSouth PTN practice, reduced their ED admissions for Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis patients by 7.5%. They developed a partnership with a local hospital system and now receive daily reports on their patients who have been seen in the ED
- MidSouth PTN generated more than $174 million in estimated cost savings, representing 121% of our target.
- MidSouth PTN far exceeded our target, reducing over 17,000 unnecessary tests and procedures, representing 1379% of our target.
- For example, cutting back on unnecessary Vitamin D screenings could result in hundreds of millions in Medicare spending alone.
- Meharry Medical Group, a MidSouth PTN practice, reduced unnecessary vitamin D screenings by over 30% during their time with TCPi.
- MidSouth PTN accomplished their target by transitioning 3428 clinicians into APMs, 78% of our total TCPI enrolled clinicians, putting us at 104% of our Aim 6 goal.
- Vanderbilt Medical Group, for example, graduated after 21 months in TCPI.
- MidSouth PTN has transformed 64% of our practices beyond phase 3.