The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA) ended the Sustainable Growth Rate formula approach to payment and consolidated components of three existing programs (PQRS, Meaningful Use, Value-Based Modifier) into The Quality Payment Program (QPP). The Quality Payment Program is designed to promote high-quality, patient-centered care with continuous improvement at its core.
The MidSouth Practice Transformation Network (PTN), part of the CMS Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative(TCPI), supports over 4,000 clinicians in both primary and specialty care across nearly 110 practices in Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Arkansas as they transform their practices in preparation for value-based payment models including the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Alternative Payment Models (APMs). TCPI has defined five Phases of Transformation, associated with milestones to achieve, to guide practices through this journey.
MidSouth PTN employs a unique two‐prong approach to practice transformation.
- First, our expert quality improvement (QI) coaches and data analysts actively engage clinicians offering QI interventions and technical support tailored to each practice’s needs.
- Second, recognizing that practices must eventually become independent in their QI efforts, MidSouth PTN also provides direct financial support for practices to enable their own staff to conduct transformation and QI activities that align with PTN goals.
Our PTN leverages the expertise of its diverse partnership to offer:
- Infrastructure support to help with care coordination, assessment and benchmarking of quality outcomes
- Informatics expertise to expand data collection and analysis capabilities necessary to thrive in a pay-for-value environment
- Assistance with patient and community stakeholder engagement to improve healthcare delivery and patient satisfaction
- Enhanced interaction between practices and ancillary services
- Guidance on graduating into alternative payment models
- Participation in a learning health system that strives to constantly improve efficiency and quality
- QI planning, implementation, and training (with CME and MOC credit) tailored to the practice’s needs
- Direct financial support for transformation