Improved access: right place @ right time
- Survey patient needs to determine if ‘ease of access’ is satisfactory
- Assess ‘slot utilization’
- Align appointment time with need
- Create protocols so staff understand medical concerns that can be ‘worked in’
- Ensure same-day and next-day appointment availability
- Evaluate and refine processes for ‘triaging’ patients who call for a same day appointment
- Evaluate nursing triage protocols
- Update after hours voicemail messaging
- Consider an after-hours call service and/or nurse advice line
- Ensure a physician or nurse is on-call for urgent patient needs
Inform & Educate
- Provide information on office hours, services, website and after-hours call number
- Educate patients on where to seek care during scheduled appointments
- Ask patients what ER they use or are most likely to use
- Do patients consider your practice their primary care provider?
- Let patients know about same-day and next-day appointment availability
- Post patient-facing fliers to remind patients when to use the ER
- Reach out to ERs most frequented by patients to set up a meeting with both physicians and administrators
- Discuss processes and protocols to standardize across institutions:
- Real-time notification of patient arrival in ER?
- Streamlined process to make appointment in clinic?
- Shared determination with ER physician on admit decisions?
- Consider partnerships with urgent care clinics
Post-ER Follow-Up: Care & Learn
- Call patients after an ER visit to:
- Understand reason for ER visit
- Schedule a follow-up appointment in clinic
- Assess the appropriateness of the ER visit and educate on alternatives if needed
- Understand any barriers in receiving care in the most appropriate setting (if applicable)
This displays when logged out